Hillary Clinton finally breaks her silence and meets with press on email controversyPosted by Mona Salama on March 12, 2015
NEW YORK, N.Y. — Hillary Clinton wasted no time starting her 20-minute press conference Tuesday at the United Nations Headquarters in New York by changing the topic of her email controversy by mentioning there are other issues she believed the media should be covering instead.
Clinton, a former first lady and secretary of state, addressed the United Nations on women’s issues prior to the press by talking about the challenges women are facing around the world. She then went on to blast the letter sent to Iran from 47 Republican Senators as “out of step with the best traditions of American leadership.”
Reports surfaced last week on her personal email that she used during her four years as Secretary of State. She opted out of using an official government account where the emails would be archived in the agency’s records. Clinton said, “I saw it as a matter of convenience and it was allowed. Others had done it.”
Later reports found that her emails were registered to a private server in her New York residence. Clinton stated, “There were no security breaches” and the private server set up the system for was for her husband former President Bill Clinton.
Following the brief speech, Clinton took questions from the press in regards to her emails. Admitting it was a mistake in using her personal email account to conduct state department business, and that she no longer has the 31,830 private emails since she deleted, adding, “They were personal and private, above matter, I didn’t see a reason to keep them.” Clinton went on the defense about not sharing her personal details of her life such as her daughter’s wedding planning, her mother’s funeral, and yoga lessons. “At the end, I decided not to keep my private emails.”
“It would have been better had I used a second email account,” Clinton said. Before she became Secretary of State, she only used one email account for her “convenience” instead of using the email account for federal employees ending in “.gov”. Regretting this decision, she states, “Looking back, it probably would have been smarter to use two devices.” Announcing that she wants transparency of her emails to make them available online as per State Department request, Clinton tweeted, “I want the public to see my email, I asked State to release them. They said they will review them for release as soon as possible.”
I want the public to see my email. I asked State to release them. They said they will review them for release as soon as possible.
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) March 5, 2015
Clinton dodged any questions at the press conference in regards to her email usage and her presidential bid. Clinton, who is expected to officially announce her bid for 2016 next month refused to answer the questions about the controversy and how it will affect her timing to announce.
President Obama on Saturday told CBS that he just learned about Clinton’s private email address from the news. On Monday, White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters that the president did email Clinton on her private account, but had no knowledge that the account was not registered to comply with the Federal Records Act to be archived.
In December, Clinton turned over 55,000 pages of emails from her private account to the State Department with 900 of those pages relating to the Benghazi investigation in 2012. Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), House Committee Chair said that there are gaps in missing email records in regards to her travels in Libya.
After the presser, two stories broke out in regards to Clinton that were inconsistent. Clinton claimed that she only used one device for “convenience” however, two weeks ago, she said she uses two different phones. On her personal destroyed emails, Clinton claimed some are with her husband, but she also claimed previously that, “he only sent two emails his entire life.”
Latest posts by Mona Salama (see all)
- Marco Rubio launches 2016 Presidential bid - April 16, 2015
- Rand Paul’s 2016 Presidential announcement - April 9, 2015
- Top Senate Democrat Harry Reid announces retirement in 2016 - March 27, 2015
- Ted Cruz becomes first major candidate announcing 2016 presidency bid - March 23, 2015
- Hillary Clinton finally breaks her silence and meets with press on email controversy - March 12, 2015