MSNBC’s Ratings Just Hit a New Low and That’s a Good ThingPosted by Editorial Staff on October 13, 2014
The “lean forward” channel has fallen on its face. MSNBC‘s ratings in the third quarter of 2014 hit new lows even for established programs like Rachel Maddow.
Since the departure of Keith Olbermann, Maddow is MSNBC‘s biggest draw. But aNY Times review of the station’s third quarter ratings show Maddow posted “her lowest quarterly ratings ever.” An unnamed TV news executive told the NY Times, “In terms of Rachel, everybody knows every night what she’s going to say.”
Maddow was not alone in the race to the bottom. Ratings for Morning Joe were the second lowest ever for that program. And Chris Hayes had his worst quarter since 2009.
MSNBC’s President Phil Griffin blames the slide, in part, on an overall lack of interest in news. “All three cable news channels are drawing a smaller combined audience than they were five years ago,” he tells the Times. That’s true to some degree, with overall viewership at CNN and Fox also down 13% since 2009.
However the slide as MSNBC is especially dramatic. The Times reports thatMSNBC averaged 392,000 key demo viewers per night in the first quarter of 2009. Last quarter that number was down to 125,000, representing a loss of two-thirds of their total audience.
Read more on Breitbart News.
Latest posts by Editorial Staff (see all)
- Kentucky County’s proposed Intl. Code Ordinance intrusive, tramples property rights - January 11, 2016
- Kentuckians are looking at Matt Bevin for Governor - October 29, 2015
- Planned Parenthood Texas Doc: Harvesting intact fetal heads “will give me something to strive for” - October 27, 2015
- Mississippi Senator McDaniel releases statement on Boehner resignation - September 25, 2015
- Ted Cruz to campaign with Chris McDaniel in Mississippi - August 8, 2015