Police: Officer Fatally Shoots Man in St. LouisPosted by Editorial Staff on October 9, 2014
An off-duty police officer fatally shot a man who opened fire during a chase in south St. Louis, city police said.
St. Louis Police Lt. Col. Alfred Adkins said the 32-year-old officer was working a secondary security job late Wednesday when the shooting happened. Adkins said the officer, a six-year-veteran of the St. Louis Police Department, approached four men on the street.
“As he exited the car, the gentlemen took off running. He was able to follow one of them before he lost him and then found him again as the guy jumped out of some bushes across the street,” Adkins said. “The officer approached, they got into a struggle, they ended up into a gangway, at which time the young man pulled a weapon and shots were fired. The officer returned fire and unfortunately the young man was killed.”
He did not name the officer or the man killed.
Adkins said the officer wasn’t hurt. Police said a gun was retrieved from the scene, near Missouri Botanical Gardens.
People who described themselves as relatives of the man who was shot later told The St. Louis Post Dispatch that he was not armed.
Adkins did not describe any conversation between the officer and the four pedestrians, and didn’t explain why he gave chase.
Hours after the shooting, a crowd gathered at the scene. Some people shouted “Hands up, don’t shoot” in reference to the fatal shooting in August of an unarmed black man, Michael Brown, by a white police officer. That shooting in Ferguson led to weeks of sometimes violent unrest in the St. Louis suburb. Officer Darren Wilson has not been charged in the shooting.
Latest posts by Editorial Staff (see all)
- Kentucky County’s proposed Intl. Code Ordinance intrusive, tramples property rights - January 11, 2016
- Kentuckians are looking at Matt Bevin for Governor - October 29, 2015
- Planned Parenthood Texas Doc: Harvesting intact fetal heads “will give me something to strive for” - October 27, 2015
- Mississippi Senator McDaniel releases statement on Boehner resignation - September 25, 2015
- Ted Cruz to campaign with Chris McDaniel in Mississippi - August 8, 2015