Canadian authorities late Wednesday identified the shooter in a brazen attack on the Parliament complex in Ottawa that left a soldier dead as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, 32, Fox News has confirmed.
The shooting, which left the nation’s capital on lockdown, came just two days after a terror attack in Quebec.
A government official told Fox that investigators believe Zehaf-Bibeau, who was killed at the scene, had changed his name from Joseph Michael Hall. U.S. agencies also have been advised he was believed to be a convert to Islam and was from Quebec.
Counter terrorism investigators are reviewing his social media traffic and profile, with a focus on any link to the attack on two soldiers in Quebec Monday.
The Toronto Globe and Mail said sources had told the paper Zehaf-Bibeau was recently designated a “high-risk traveler” by the Canadian government and his passport had been seized.
By Wednesday night, three persons who had been taken to Ottawa Hospital with minor injuries were all released.
The shots rang out just before 10 a.m., when a guard at the National War Monument was fatally shot. The gunman next ran into the Parliament Hill building, where one MP reported hearing as many as 30 shots fired and a sergeant at arms was later credited with shooting the suspect dead. In the following moments and hours, Royal Canadian Mounted Police converged on the scene, more shots were reported less than a mile away near a mall and officials told Ottawa residents to barricade themselves in their homes as they searched for more possible gunmen.
Read more at Fox News.